Maija (my-ah) is a Canadian Certified Counsellor with a Master’s degree in Counselling from the City University. As a therapist, Maija works with clients using somatic and mindfulness approaches. She is completing advanced training in Self Regulation therapy from the Canadian Foundation for Trauma Research and Education and in Somatic Experiencing therapy. In somatic therapy, Maija aims to integrate physiological feedback with her client’s thoughts and emotions. This process allows clients to reconnect with their natural intuition, natural healing, and innate capacity to handle stress. Clients can then notice when their “autopilot” is problematic, and subsequently, slow it down, and change it. This process enables clients to release and move past chronic anxiety, indecisiveness, anger, sadness, irritability, and other difficult feelings, thoughts, and sensations. This can help reclaim an inner calm and facilitate coming back to yourself.
Maija has worked with clients at the Sexual Assault Centre of Edmonton since 2013 and in private practice with a wide range of psychological issues, including but not limited to:
- Trauma and PTSD
- Anxiety and fear
- Overwhelming experiences that may be traumatic
- Grief and loss
- Changing and challenging relationships, including loneliness, parental, and partner
- Unexpected or expected changes in health, work, finances, and relationships
- Self Esteem concerns
- Existential fears, including life purpose and meaning
- And the overall feeling of “being stuck”
Maija has a broad work history as an academic researcher (ethnographer) in the areas of addiction, chronic health, and addressing the needs of vulnerable children. She has a wide range of experiences and interests, including enjoying a long-term cross-racial marriage and raising two almost-adult children. Maija has worked and lived internationally for some years and is, therefore, aware of the impact of uprooting children, and the difficulties of reintegrating back into Canada with Third Culture Kids. Maija welcomes and supports a broad spectrum of lifestyles and is LGBTQ+ friendly and faith-sensitive.
Maija will be seen clients on Tuesdays starting Sept 6, 2016.
Contact Maija (my-ah) directly at:
- Years in Practice: 3+ Years
- School: City University of Seattle
- License No.: CCC #7998
- Avg Cost (per session): $150
- Accepted Payment Methods: eTransfer, Cash, Check, Mastercard, Visa
- Insurance Plans: Check if your insurance will cover the CCC designation.